It is required that you have 2 years of experience as a Cook or in food preparation. If you do not have a resume to attach, please tell us about your previous work history in the food industry. We ask that you fill out the application online. Click on 'Apply now' to get directed to the company online application page.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible to the Executive Chef for the overall preparation of food in the dietary department kitchen. Performs a variety of routine tasks and operations to prepare and cook food items as assigned for the meal service. Adheres to and complies with established Blue Skies, Morrison, and applicable regulatory agencies policy standard practices and procedures.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: Must exercise judgment in food preparation and presentation. Possess the ability to perform simple math calculations. Must be able to speak, read, and follow written and verbal instructions in English. Incumbent will be expected to assume heavy workloads with a great deal of time spent on feet. Some lifting is required. Must be able to problem solve quickly and accurately, as well as accurately complete departmental food production reports and temperature logs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Required: Two years’ experience as a cook or in food preparation. Short order cooking experience and breakfast cooking experience is ideal. Preferred: High school diploma or equivalent. Possess a two-year degree in culinary arts, hotel/restaurant management, or a food service-related field of study.
EQUIPMENT AND COMPUTER OPERATIONS: Required: A working knowledge of the various equipment in the kitchen, i.e. slicer, slow cooker, knife handling, etc. Training will be provided to familiarize incumbent with related equipment to ensure safety during use.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED/PREFERRED: Must show proof of successful completion and certification of a Texas Food Handlers Program or successfully complete within 60 days of hire. Preferred: Ongoing education in culinary arts or commercial food production of a similar discipline is encouraged.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reviews production sheets and/or menus to determine types and quantities of foods to be prepared.
2. Follows simple recipe and other production information to complete preparation of assigned menu items.
3. Arranges/presents foods in an attractive and appetizing manner.
4. Observes and tests food being cooked by tasting, smelling, and piercing with a thermometer to determine that it is cooked according to standard recipe and in compliance with health standards.
5. Prepares menu items such as vegetables, fish, meat, casseroles, soups, and stews using established food production systems and utilizing equipment such as kettles, ovens, deep fryers, pressure steamers, etc.
6. Follow instructions from Chef or supervisor for batch cooling of daily menu items to facilitate uninterrupted efficient operation of tray line, Dining Room, and other service areas.
7. Participates in monitoring of food quality, to include temperature, and accuracy.
8. Completes setup and placement of food items on resident tray line and other food service areas.
9. Confirms menus and amounts using established production forms.
10. Assists as directed in dish room scraping plates, loading and unloading dish machine, and sorting silverware.
11. Assists as directed to facilitate workflow in the operations of kitchen procedures and food distribution.
12. Accurately records statistics to maintain the integrity of production system.
13. Maintains proper care, maintenance, and sanitation of work areas, equipment, and supplies.
14. Alerts Chef or management of problems or needs concerning equipment, food supply, sanitation, and safety.
15. Maintains temperature logs.
16. Maintains established department policies, procedures, objectives for quality assurance, safety and infection control.
17. Attends all Department and Blue Skies of Texas in-services/safety meetings, orientation and other meetings as required.
18. Participates in educational programs or developmental in-services to improve skill level.
19. Cleans assigned areas following established cleaning procedures and schedules.
20. Other duties as assigned